“Healthcare professional” in Finnish

Usually, “healthcare professional” is translated as “terveydenhuollon ammattilainen“; that term  I usually see in other translators’ work that I check or edit, and I have also used the same term.

However, in a Kela paper (Kela = the Finnish Social Security institution)  I happened to see I the term “terveydenhuollon ammattihenkilö“. Checking the Internet, the term “terveydenhuollon ammattihenkilö” is widely used: there is even a law called  “Laki terveydenhuollon ammattihenkilöstä”.  So, should we translators start translating “healtcare professional” as “terveydenhuollon ammattihenkilö”?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s